Wednesday, June 10, 2009

J_SC: The Japan - ? Student Conference

It's been awhile since we last posted, so I thought I'd write about something current. I like to go to the media for inspiration, so I often look at print news, magazines and online journals for comparison. Tonight, my first stop was the Japan Times. Seeing that front page made me think of a relevant issue that has been under my fingernails for awhile now: JASC has become hugely Japan-focused.

Don't think that this is any real bone of contention for me; I freely admit to applying to JASC mainly to meet Japanese students and learn more about Japan itself. The 'America' part of the Conference's name appealed only to my passport. When I arrived in Portland, Oregon for American Orientation last year, I found that most of the American delegation was just like me. Most of us studied or knew Japanese, many majored in East Asian Studies and I may have been the only Amadele who had never been to Japan before. There was plenty of chit-chat about anime, Genji and samurai, but little to be heard about muscle cars or the NFL.

Looking back, I'd expected more events during a U.S. year to have been about the United States alone. I did a homestay in Montana and visited Boston's city government, but the overall tone of the Conference had a definite Japanese flavor to it. I was thrilled and couldn't help but to learn nonstop. The honeymoon lasted through the first site or so.

Though I cannot speak for all of my American peers from the 60th JASC, my attitude toward the Conference changed markedly as our time together passed. While I had begun as a listener, less willing to contribute, I later found myself speaking up with my own point of view and engaging in our discussions more actively. It occurred to me that to get the most out of this experience, I had to represent the United States as a delegate. There would be no contrast and no discourse if I just wanted to hear about what Japan had to say. I had an amazing time on the 60th JASC because I figured out the give-take premise of discussion in time. I guess on a subconscious level, I just didn't feel like JASC-y sorts of issues would be found in the New York Times instead of say, Asahi Shimbun.

Now I cannot forget the "A" when I introduce myself to someone as the AMERICAN Chair of the 61st JASC. I've been writing about the Japanese economy and Japanese issues, but maybe my next blog post will be about GM's bankruptcy or the powerhouse that is the American film industry. Ideally, JASC is an experience that highlights both nations' contributions to the global community. It excites me to be able to join so many other young Americans in discussing the world's problems and celebrating its beauty; I don't care what anyone says, the U.S. has plenty of globally-minded people who are ready to listen.

Going into the 61st Conference, I know that our delegates will be excited to go to Japan. Many of them probably know a lot about it already. But what I also hope to see in them is appreciation and affinity for that which makes them Amadeles. I am certainly not the most patriotic chair to come down the line, but I do remember what the "A" in JASC stands for, and I recognize that without it we have very little in the way of productive conversation! This year we committed ourselves to selecting a diverse group that would be up to the task, and I honestly feel like we succeeded. We'll have to wait and see how things really turn out, but I'm optimistic!

Colin

1 comments:

大井あゆみ said...

I liked your recent two posts!

I agree that there should be more focus on the "Japan" and "America" in JASC. Paradoxically, I think this leads to realizing the similarity/ affinity of the different party.

And yes, Japan needs some change to enhance enterpreunership. I could really feel that working in Japan now.

Looking forward to more updates. :)