Saturday, November 15, 2008

Call to Action!

How many of us out there are sick of hearing about the threats of globalization? The threats looming just across this or that ocean, ready to pounce on you and your dream. That little dream of yours, the American dream. House in the suburbs, walks to the park, children at the dinner table, tank full of gas. It seems so far away, but you're entitled to that. If you work, that is yours. As we know it, life is a train, not a plane. You can go as slow as you like, but the tracks will eventually take you to where you want to be. The sad truth is that we're in the pilot's seat and if you take your hand off the stick for a second you could be plummeting to your doom.

Why so bleak? With added risk comes greater benefits; all you need is the right tools to keep yourself on top. Unfortunately, I feel like I'm on my way to the World Cup with tap shoes on. Everywhere I look, there is someone more qualified than I for a job I want and people considerably more eager to pull the carpet out from under me. It's a dog-eat-dog world, they say, but these dogs can eat you in Mandarin or Farsi. Yes, that's the crux of it all; international competency. Nice to meet you. I'm Colin Moreshead, the guy who's bitter about being only more fortunate than ninety-nine percent of the United States' students.

I sound like a jerk! Is my middle name ungrateful, or what? I mean, my upbringing is even beyond what most would deem "privileged". Born upper-middle class in the suburbs of Connecticut, taking advantage of one of the nation's top public school systems. I should consider myself luckier still that I was exposed to a decent amount of diversity as a child. But my measuring stick has become the international student. Fluency in two languages may as well be a minimum requirement. The student who attends a school to study, not to goof off. The student who grew up with The Economist and annual trips to places I'd only ever dreamed of. I've gone a bit idealist; frankly, if such a person exists, I'm not sure I'd want to be friends with them. I'll swear right now, though, that I would have given up all those hours watching cartoons and building Legos if it had granted me fluency in a halfway-useful language. But I'm worried more about my job, my opportunities and my security. We've been living the soft life and hadn't quite expected the world to catch up to us. Thankfully, we've still got some sway over things; if you're reading this, count yourself lucky for being proficient in the English language. A pat on the back.

That's not enough anymore. Kennedy gave us that call to action back in 1961, pushing us to get to the moon. We need another call, this time to keep us on the face of the earth. I don't pretend to be some freaky patriot who won't stand for the United States to lose face abroad, but I like my station as much as the next guy, and the word is out: American successes just made the endangered species list. When I got to college, I had that realization and began to study for things, hoping to make up for lost time. Why had I blown so much time on so many useless pursuits? There are kids all over the world that would do circles around me if only given the chance.

I can't change overnight. Despite the fact that I am now learning a foreign language, I will enjoy a video game on occasion and probably blow off some of my work. That's not unacceptable, it's just me. But my attitude has changed, and I know what I'm up against. For those of you who think that you're going to be sufficient in whatever field you've chosen for yourself, you may want to think again. I'm not saying you're not great, but there are plenty more out there looking for just what you are. If you ever think you're doing enough to better yourself, you could very well be wrong.

We're all great the way we are, but living beyond our means is not limited to monetary matters. You can live your life and direct yourself in a way that will sabotage you later, and prevent you from getting what it is you want in life. I say, be responsible. Don't slack off and don't expect any breaks. As the world inflates itself, you're going backwards if you stay in the same place. Never, never ever forget that there are other countries in the world. After your eyes have been opened, if you feel even the slightest tinge of inadequacy, don't fret. Change. Today is the day of the niche; have a point to sell.

0 comments: