Saturday, September 27, 2008

2 min self-intro of the "other" Asian girl

Hello reader,

My name is Kayoko “Kai” Hirata and I am one of eight 61st JASC AECs. I study Urban and Regional Studies and Government at Cornell University, located in middle-of-nowhere, NY. My roles in JASC are AEC treasurer, JASC Presents AEC Liaison with Yoshi and Hakodate site coordinator with our wonderful Chair Colin. I lead the RT topic “Food Security and the Future Accessibility of Edible Commodities” with a very benevolent JEC buddy Moto.

I had the fortunate experience of growing up both in Japan and in the US, therefore not only do I speak English, but also a fair bit of comprehensible Japanese and enjoy pretending to understand Spanish.

Food transports me away from dreary reality and I wish there were more time and resources to fully devote myself to it. But as for now, I have turned to books on food, which is why my RT will be the best. And oh, Japanese bakeries ruin my health but I spend a good portion of my camera memory and time and income exploring for them.

The 61st JASC is on the process to become the best summer experience ever, so if I haven’t bored you yet, apply! (Well, not now cuz the applications aren’t up yet) Please check our blog sporadically and request more info by signing up to our listserve ↓

http://iscdc.org/index.php?option=com_forme&fid=4

Cheers,

Kayoko

0 comments: