Saturday, September 27, 2008

Durkin's Introduction... Part Ni!

As promised, here is a friendly meme. Sadly, I think it gives a better impression of me than my self-intro. ENJOY!

1. What is your first name? Jon-Michael, of course—but you can call me Durkin if you like!

2. Were you named after anyone? My parents do not answer this question consistently. The short answer is no. The long answer is maybe. My Uncle is named John and my father is named Michael. My parents often joke they named me after Jean-Luc Picard, of the U.S.S. Enterprise... Yeah, I was doomed to nerd-dom from the start.

3. Do you wish on stars? Alas, it always seemed a strange superstition to me… Perhaps that’s why I was such a sad excused for a child.

4. When did you last cry? When I thought about the individuals from the 60th JASC, of course.

5. Do you like your handwriting? I used to not care at all… but recently I have become knowledgeable that my handwriting looks like crap, and that makes me sad. My kanji, however; is often quite beautiful I am told.

6. What is your favorite lunch meat? Even before I became a vegan, I never liked lunch meat. (I stopped being vegan when I came to Japan, PS)

7. What is your most embarrassing CD? That’s hard! Almost every CD that I own is somewhat embarrassing… It’s possibly any of the following: Aladdin OST, The Newsies OST, or Pocahontas OST.

8. If you were another person, would you be friends with you? What kind of question is that? If I were another person, I would clearly be much to cool to hang out with the likes of me. Not to mention, I am kind of a jerk.

9. Do you have a journal? I have a blog. But no journal!

10. Do you use sarcasm a lot? No. Never. Of course not. I don't whine, either.

11. What are your nicknames? JM, JMD, Durkin, Jiji

12. Would you bungee jump? Of course I would! I went skydiving this past summer and it was AMAZING!

13. Do you untie your shoes before you take them off? Does anyone?

14. Do you think that you are strong? Strong in a physical sense? Certainly not. But I like to think that my mental strength more than makes up for it… But that might actually just be a guise for a strong ego.

15. What is your favorite ice cream flavor? I like vanilla… Isn’t that just so plain?

16. Shoe size? 10. Not much to say about it—it’s pretty standard yo.

17. Red or pink? Neither.

18. What is your least favorite thing about yourself? My propensity to withdraw from relationships when I start to really get to know people.

19. What do you miss most? Diet Coke and wireless internet (they don’t exist in Japan!)

20. Do you want everyone you send this to, to send it back? No, but I wouldn't mind if someone rewrote this question to prevent that icky "to, to" issue.

21. What color pants/shoes are you wearing? Semi-dark blue jeans and brown slippers

22. What are you listening to right now? ‘I Don’t Think Now Is The Best Time’ from Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End OST.

23. Last thing you ate? Well, it was a rather large meal: A bowl of rice, vegetable miso soup, sponge tofu, and a ground-meat/mixed veggie stirfry. It was really quite delicious!

24. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? Who wrote these questions? Barbara Walters?

25. What is the weather like right now? It’s a bit cool! Japan has finally entered fall, I fear. Otherwise it is a beautifully calm and clear night.
26. Last person you talked to on the phone? I think my hostfather. I don’t have a phone, so I rarely use one.

27. The first thing you notice about the opposite sex? The size of their face and body and how proportionate the two are.

28. Do you like the person who sent this to you? I found this on some random blog… so no.

29. Favorite drink? Used to be Diet Coke… Recently it’s become cold tea.

30. Favorite sport? I like to watch baseball. I like to do karate :-P

31. Hair color? Brown.

32. Eye color? Hazel-ish.

33. Do you wear contacts? Nope.

34. Favorite food? Gardein Burgers, definitely!

35. Last movie you watched? This is tough. I think the last movie I watched was Be Kind Rewind on the plane to Japan. It was really stupid, don’t watch it.

36. Favorite day of the year? I really prefer the day on which JASC begins 

37. Scary movies or happy endings? Neither—they are both too cliché.

38. Winter or summer? The spring, thank you very much.

39. Hugs or kisses? Hugs. There is nothing quite like holding another person in your arms and simultaneously being held.

40. What is your favorite dessert? Probably crepes… Yeah, definitely crepes.

41. Who is most likely to do this meme? Nobody. Well, maybe another EC will pick up on it and do it, but I doubt it…
42. Who is the least likely to do this meme and comment? To no Chujo? Hikaru Genji? Murasaki Shikibu?

43. What books are you reading? Funny you should ask: The Tale of Genji, The Gossamer Years, The Kojiki, and so many more…

44. What's on your mouse pad? It’s a small red dot in the center of my keyboard, aka a trackpoint.

45. What did you watch on TV last night? ano… last night I think I watched the news and then went to bed.

46. Favorite smells? I love the smell of spring… You know the one I am talking about.

47. Favorite sound? You know those soft murmurs that the person you love makes when they sleep? Yeah, that’s it.

48. Rolling Stones or Beatles? The Beatles… and the Rolling Stones! OH I AM TRICKY!

49. What's the furthest you've been from your home? Osaka, Japan (I think that Kyoto is closer to home… hahahah)

50. Do you have a special talent? I can run around really fast and whirl my arms around while making loud noises before I fall down… In other words, no.

51. What is your ring tone? Ah, my friend… I am 19, and thus I cannot get a cell phone in Japan without parental consent… Which is a bit tricky to get when neither of your parents speak any ENGLISH!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Jiji? Jiji? Jiji?!! hmmmm????
Please "C"! (clarify)

Jon-Michael Durkin said...

I carried a pocket watch for the first month that I was in Japan as I did not have a cell phone or a watch... Some of my friends nicknamed me Jiji... It's a rather humiliating tale, I think.